Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The reason I go to work...

Our school had some transition in a division of our special education department. Students had to be moved to different classrooms and it put additional stress in one class. I offered to have a gym class just for them. I quickly figured out playing any game with only 4 or 5 kids was difficult and even more difficult if they didn't have an example to follow or weren't able to do it on their own. I decided to invite typical peers to come play. Now, each day 16 typical peers (8 in each period) come down and buddy up and play with my students with special needs. They named themselves the "Challengers" because each group of students challenges the other to be better. It has truly been amazing. Hardly a day goes by when I do not tear up. There is something special about a middle school student having extra patience with a friend that needs it. Or chasing the ball for the millionth time because their friend just can't quite get the hang of it.

Well, yesterday a very special young lady brought me a letter asking me to be a challenger. I. Was. Floored. It is below...
----------
1/17/12 Homeroom: 250 Smith

Dear Coach Yancey,
I would love to work with the special education kids. I would treat them like a regular kid. they are very special, but other kids don't see it. I would put all I have into these kids. They deserve happiness. I want these kids happy everyday, not just one day. It would be an honor to help these kids. The reason I would love to do this is because they are very important kids. I would treat them with kindness, care, and respect. I will do the best of my ability to help these kids be happy 24/7. I hope you take this consideration seriously. It would mean the world to me to help these kids be the best they can be.
Sincerely,
Student
---------

I LOVE my job!!

Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40

1 comment:

  1. Totally cried. I can only hope Jenna has a heart like this.

    ReplyDelete