Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Race for the Cure

I figured something out about myself a long time ago: if I am going to run, I need a goal. So, when a couple of weeks ago I successfully ran 2 miles (post babies) I knew a 5k was not out of reach!

I also knew that Race for the Cure was coming up and a big group from my church was going to participate in honor of our precious friend Darlene! So, I took the plunge and signed up. Now, I did "train" some...I ran pushing the girls a mile a couple of different times and I ran with my girls at school... sorta. ;-) But, I was still committed.

My goal was to push both girls and run the whole thing. However, it was 32 this morning. Um, freezing. I was miserable...I can't imagine how they would have felt. So, they had a morning with Daddy!! He was definitely ok with it!

Besides, my somewhat recent obsession with orphan care, I have never really been all about any one cause before. However, I think it is because of the toll it would take on me. I don't think I thought I could handle it. You see, my grandma Dorothy had breast cancer, my grandma Wenonah (who Nonie is named after) also had it, along with my great-grandmother, Ma Ruby, and my cousin Kathy Poston. And now Darlene...

If I am brutally honest, I was involved very little in their fight and recovery. It hurt too much. It scared me too much. Darlene has been blogging about her struggles and journey through this and I have gotten to see her at church almost weekly. It is not pretty folks, however, she is relying on God and worshiping and praising Him through it. I pray I am that strong, that in the face of something so life changing, I would not turn my back on the One that can save me from it all. I am nothing but ashamed that I was not there for my family members who have fought and won this battle. I am so proud of how they fought. They shielded me from their pain. They didn't complain. They didn't feel sorry for themselves. They were so strong and courageous!

So, today as I ran my lungs burned and my legs were so heavy. I was freezing all morning and if you know me, you know I HATE to be cold (and it always shocks me that I am). Nothing I went through today even compares to what these women have been through. You can't touch mouth sores, radiation burns, losing your hair, bone pain, surgery, chemo....

I pray my friend felt supported. I pray my family forgives me for not being there for them. I pray my girls know how important it is to stand for a cause. I pray we do find a cure, so my babies will never have to face this awful disease.

This morning Sandra and family picked me up at 6:30. Somehow, we did not get a picture together, but her and her precious daughter, Jenna are below! I was so proud of Sandra and Jenna, they ran as much as they could!!! Go Taylors!!

This is most of our group. This was at 7:30 at our team tent. We took an "official" team pic later on with everyone! I think we were close to 60!


I shot before we started the race. Plenty of pink. Sidenote: Breasts were definitely glorified today! Ha-larious!

My running buddies Amy and Emily!!


No comments:

Post a Comment